Steve Boutin, CFA
Senior Vice President, Portfolio Manager
Area of Focus
- U.S. small/mid-cap equities
After reading The Canadian Establishment by Peter C. Newman, Steve became interested in equity markets and bought his first stock when he was 15 years old. Since that time, Steve has developed a passion in Canadian and U.S. small-cap investing, where he has spent most of his career. At Van Berkom & Associates Inc., he was a partner and played a key role in building the U.S. small-cap division from an incubator project to a successful business venture. Steve has an entrepreneurial spirit and before joining Burgundy, he founded Tonus Capital, a money management boutique specializing in focused investing. Steve still reads extensively about business and has the same thirst for learning about companies and potential investments as he had more than 30 years ago when he bought his first shares.
- Joined Burgundy in 2012
- Appointed a Senior Vice President in 2016
- 30+ years of combined professional experience
- Experience includes positions at: Tonus Capital Inc., Van Berkom & Associates, I.A. Michael Investment Counsel, Value Search Investment Services, Cote 100 Inc.
- CFA charterholder
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Finance), HEC Montréal
Memberships and Community
- Member, CFA Society Toronto
- Member, CFA Institute
POSTS FROM THIS AUTHOR
The Journal | July 2021
Metro Inc. (grocer) and Generac (power generation) are just two examples of companies that have managed to shed their “small-cap” company skin to join the ranks of the largest companies...